Friday, October 5, 2012

Five-Minute Friday: Welcome

I also wrote a post for my 31 days for today. You can find it here. I LOVE 5-Minute Friday and had to write today. You get two posts because of it. :)






Welcome.

I want to welcome guests into my home and have them immediately feel comfortable. While I want my house to be warm and inviting I'm not looking for perfection. I know I struggle with having things "perfect" but over the last few years I've learned that I'm imperfect and there are some things I have to let go.

And my home is one of them. I like to have a picked up home, especially when people are coming over, but with two young children my house will never be completely picked up. And I've learned to deal with it. I'm not going to apologize for it either. I'm not going to feel bad that my house isn't all shiny and smells like fresh baked bread all the time. That's setting a standard I can NEVER live up to. Why even bother putting that kind of pressure on myself? It serves no purpose and I beat myself up if I don't live up to my too high standards. Pointless.

Welcoming my guests with open arms and an open heart are want I want to focus on. Do they feel comfortable coming in our home? Do they know they are welcome and loved here? That's what I want to display when welcoming guests. Love.


Go here to join the link up party for Five-Minute Friday.

3 comments:

joleneybean said...

I have no children and I struggle with this! I loved things to be clean and simple and picked up, yet it never seems to be the case. I work full time but don't have an office or classroom so all of my materials and books are here in my house - and I'm always using them or digging through them. And I married a man that collects things. I don't know if I'll ever win the battle. So I try to remember that a home is a place to live-in and as long and things are clean, then its ok. I'm still working on that though!

Amy Pederson said...

Thank you for sharing. I sense your heart though your writing, and I sense you are telling the truth. I can tell you've let a lot of it go, and you are better off for it. I know because I am one step behind you. :) Thank you for your model and your certainty that there is a better way than perfection. It IS impossible. I know it with my head, now I need to get it in my heart.

The Atwoods said...

So true! Me and a friend were recently talking about this same thing. She kept apologizing for her "messy" house, and I reassured her that mine was messy too! I don't know why we mama's think we have to have it all together, all the time! It's refreshing to be real with other women who are also living this imperfectly perfect life! :)