Friday, October 5, 2012

31 Days: Moving to a "Big Girl" Bed

Last day in her crib. Eek!


It seems like yesterday I was carrying this girl in my belly. I could feel her kicks (which were constant, I worried when she didn't kick), she gave me heartburn, I had to pee all the time and my hips ached and ached when I slept at night. How is it possible that she's already big enough for her own big girl bed?

People always said, "Enjoy it, it goes by so quick." I shook my head and nodded even though I had no idea what they were talking about. I didn't understand until Nyla turned 1 month, then 2 months, then 1 year and now 2 years old. It does go by so fast!

Our sweet girl #1 is now she's 2 years and almost 3 months old and getting too tall for her crib. She's only got a few more inches until she outgrows the crib. Plus, she sleeps with 100 stuffed animals and I'm not sure where her little body actually sleeps. :)

Months ago I was out with my mom and we found the cutest fabric; it's bright, colorful and fun. I knew I wanted this to be the material in Nyla's room when she outgrew the baby stuff. My mom bought some and recovered a chair I had in her room and made her some better curtains (our girls like it pitch black in their rooms, they get that from their Daddy). A couple months later my mom called and said the fabric was on sale and asked if I want it for anything else in Nyla's room. My mom can sew and I thought maybe she could sew a bedskirt and pillow sham for the future big bed. She said she could and got enough to sew those two things. A couple months later we found a wood twin bed at one of the antique stores around here. I liked it and mom said she could paint it to any color I wanted. I thought it was cute and perfect for Nyla's first bed so mom picked that up as well.

Now after my mom's hard work painting the bed, fitting wood slats to go underneath the box springs, sewing and finding a coverlet we're ready to move our girl to a big girl bed.

She looks so small in her new big bed


The bed was a breeze to put together. The hardest thing was getting the bed rail fitted properly to the bed. After Daniel got that done Nyla helped put the sheets on and then jumped right up. She's been excited about it since we put together.

We laid in bed, read books, sang and did our usual routine. I told her that she could get down and play but she had to be quiet and she had to stay in her room. I shut the door and she got right down and started playing. I checked on her about 15 minutes later and her floor was covered in her kitchen toys but she was quiet in her bed. She obviously had a big time playing by herself and then climbed up and went to sleep. I hope this means she'll adjust just fine being in her big bed.

No comments: