Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Peach-Blueberry Cobbler




I bought a new cookbook the other day. I love cookbooks. My husband and I are eating better so the cookbook is Cooking Light. So when we went to my parents for dinner last week I wanted to make a cobbler. My friend had given me 6 white peaches from when she and her 5-year-old daughter went to an orchid for a new experience for the little one.
So I'm looking through my new cookbook and I come across this delicious sounding cobbler recipe, Peach-Blueberry Cobbler. I didn't even notice on the front cover that this was the recipe shown. Now I'm even more intrigued. I'm thinking it's going to be even more delicious now. So here is the wonderful (and easy) recipe.

Peach-Blueberry Cobbler

Filling:
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp salt
3 c chopped peeled peaches (about 2 pounds)
2 c fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
cooking spray

Topping:
1 1/3 c all-purpose flour (about 6 ounces)
1/3 granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 c low-fat buttermilk (or skim milk and a splash of lemon juice or white vinegar)
1 1/2 Tbsp turbinado sugar (I didn't do this )

1. Preheat oven 400* F
2. For filling combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add peaches, blueberries and juice. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes.
3. For topping, lightly spoon 1 1/3 c flour into dry measuring cups. Combine 1 1/3 flour, 1/3 c granulated sugar, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stir until just moist.
4. Remove dish from oven, drop dough onto peach mixture to form 8 rounds. Sprinkle dough evenly with turbinado sugar. Bake at 400*F for 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Yield: 8 servings; 1/2 cup cobbler and 1 biscuit.
*Serve with homemade vanilla ice cream and you'll have your guests screaming for more.

Calories 259, Fat 4.9g, Protein 3.9g, Carb 52.1g, Fiber 2.4g, Chol 12mg, Iron 1.3mg, Sodium 230 mg, Calc 52mg

This recipe is also linked to The Grocery Cart Challenge.
This recipe is also linked to Blessed with Grace.

6 comments:

SnoWhite said...

this looks so tasty!

Thanks for stopping by -- hope you find yummy recipes to try :)

Linda said...

I just went blueberry and peach picking. I think I will be making this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

Ginny said...

Great! It is very tasty! I served it with homemade vanilla ice cream. Ice cream or whipped cream is delicious with it too.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for joining Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and sharing this fabulous recipe.

Ave said...

Looks really delicious!

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes said...

Blueberries and peaches are a great combination! Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe with us! :)