Saturday, August 15, 2009

Vanilla Pound Cake and Chocolate Sauce


Hubby and I went to my parents last night for a delicious dinner. We had beef brisket, twice baked potatoes, salad and bread. I made dessert (I usually end up bringing dessert wherever we go). I found a wonderful pound cake recipe from Blessed with Grace that I wanted to try. I made it and it turned out wonderful! I also took cut-up strawberries, low fat cool whip and a homemade chocolate sauce to go on top if anyone wanted any, and they did. :) I forgot to take a picture of it, sorry, but believe me it was good!

Vanilla Pound Cake-modified from Blessed with Grace

2 large eggs
3 large egg whites
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350* F. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, vanilla extract and almond extract; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until blended. Beat in sugar, baking powder and salt until blended. Beat in flour and egg mixture, little by little, beginning and ending with flour.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes. (Mine took right at 60 minutes).
Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 12 slices and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.
(I made the cake the night before, cooled completely and wrapped in foil. At dinner I popped it into a warm oven to heat back up. I served it with cut-up strawberries, cool whip and chocolate sauce.

Divine Chocolate Sauce- from Cuisine At Home

1/3 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used chocolate chips)

Bring cream and corn syrup to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place chocolate in a bowl and pour cream mixture over. Let stand about 1 minute to melt, then whisk until smooth.
I made chocolate a couple hours before, cooled completely and stored in fridge. I heated it up for about 35 seconds right before dinner. Easy and delicious!

I ended up having leftover pound cake, about half the cake. When we got home I cubed it into 1-inch pieces and stored it in the freezer in a freezer bag. We have a Sunday School party in 2 weeks and I have a recipe that I'm going to use that calls for pound cake. And homemade pound cake is even better so it works out great! I'll save time and money with that dessert b/c I already have most of the ingredients and the cake is cut-up. All I'll have to do is dump it in the serving bowl with everything else and it'll be ready to go. (Check back for that recipe in a couple of weeks. I've made it before and it's amazing!)

No comments: