Monday, August 24, 2009

Homemade Household Cleaners

Do you hate spending all your hard earned money on smelly cleaning products?

I do! I've been in search of great substitutes that I can make from ingredients I already have in my pantry. And I've found them.

I've actually had a list of homemade products for awhile and I have made and used some of them. Unfortunately I still have so many store bought products that need to be used up first. I have made the ones I listed and I really love them. And I will post more once I've tried them. I won't post any products that I haven't tried.

Even though I still have quite a lot of store bought cleaning products I still want to share the list of products along with the ingredients and measurements to my fellow readers. So here's the list, enjoy!


All-Purpose Cleaner:

½ cup vinegar

¼ cup baking soda (or 2 tsp borax powder)

½ gallon (2 liters) hot water (use hot water so the powder dissolve)

Mix all ingredients together.

I put mine in a spray bottle and use with a microfiber cloth.

I use my mixture in the kitchen for the most part.

This cleaner works well on windows and mirrors too.


Dishwasher Soap:

Mix equal parts borax powder and washing soda. (Takes 1-2 tsp of each)

Increase the washing soda if you have hard water.


Oven Cleaner:

Moisten oven surfaces with sponge and water.

¾ cup baking soda

¼ salt

¼ water

Mix together to make a thick paste (I mix in a bowl for the 1-time use).

Spread paste throughout the oven interior (avoid bare metal and any openings).

Let sit overnight.

Remove with spatula and wipe clean.

Rub gently with fine steel wool for tough spots.


So here's a few cleaners you'd find in my cleaning collection. I hope you find these helpful and useful in your own home.

Stay tuned for more household cleaners that will be coming your way in the coming weeks and months.

4 comments:

erin said...

I too have a TON of household cleaners, but we start getting low, I'm going to try some of these!

Where do you get washing soda?

SnoWhite said...

I've seen many recipes for homemade cleaners -- but, I struggle with the smell of vinegar. Does the finished product have a strong vinegar scent?

Ginny said...

SnoWite,
The vinegar isn't strong at all. I'm not a fan either but I don't notice it. It leaves no odor that I've noticed.
If you get your nose too close you might smell more than you'd like but I honestly don't notice that horrible smell.

Erin,
I found washing soda at Kroger in the detergent aisle. It was across from the regular detergent stuff with more of the special things, like stain removers, etc.

The Atwoods said...

I'm so glad you found my site, and even more glad that you're enjoying the homemade cleaner product reviews. :) I love the idea of dishwasher soap--I'm going to have to give that one a try!