Saturday, August 22, 2009

Homemade Vanilla Ice cream

Mmmm, ice cream.
I scream, you scream we all scream for ice cream!
A week ago we had an ice cream social/back-to-school bash at our church. We had probably 20+ different flavors of ice cream, some homemade, some store bought. Whew, that was a lot of ice cream. I was good and have 2 scoops, a small piece of cake and half a brownie. I'm trying to be good. 12 pounds down and I've more to lose!
Well I made butterscotch ice cream and it turned out pretty good. It didn't taste a whole lot like butterscotch, more of just a hint of it, but Hubby said it was good an he liked that it wasn't too much. It wasn't hard to make, but I have a great ice cream maker. Here is the link to the butterscotch ice cream, from Smitten Kitchen, HERE. So Yummy!
Anyways, I've been craving ice cream all week. We did have some leftover but we went through it pretty quickly. So today I made some homemade vanilla, just the quick recipe out of the book that came with the ice cream maker. Simple, quick and delicious!

Here's the recipe:
2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 cup whole milk, chilled
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

-Simply combine ingredients and freeze in ice cream maker as directed by the manufacturer's instructions.
-Makes about 1 quart; 10 1/2 cup servings
Calories: 242 Carbs: 18g Protein: 2g Fat: 18g Chol: 69mg Sodium: 30mg

1 comment:

SnoWhite said...

I love ice cream too. My recipe is quite similar, but I use fat free half and half, and light whipping cream. I love it. It's nice a soft-servey when it's just made, and then hardens up nicely in the freezer!