Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot & Chicken Broth

Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot-from The Happy Housewife

1. Unwrap chicken, remove bag of stuff, (chicken can be partially frozen, that is just fine).
2. Rinse the chicken.
3. Spray crock pot with non-stick spray.
4. Place chicken in crock pot, no liquid required.
5. Pour 2-3 Tbsp olive oil over top of chicken and sprinkle with choice of spices (I like salt and pepper with onion and garlic powders; and then depending on what I'm going to use the chicken for, I make it more taste specific for that dish).
6. Place lid on the crock pot, set on LOW, cook 5 hours.
7. Remove from pot, let cool, shred amount of chicken desired and serve; or add to a dish.
(I got my whole chicken for about $.79 a pound at Aldi; I'm sure you can find it for cheaper in the adds some weeks).

Note: I usually cook my whole chicken, shred it and put all the shredded chicken in a bag in the freezer. I pull out what I need for my BBQ Chicken Pizza or whatever recipe I need that calls for shredded chicken. It's a much cheaper option then using boneless/skinless chicken breasts all the time!


Homemade chicken broth:
1. Leave liquid in crock pot, shred chicken and place bones and skin back into crock pot.
2. Add 5 cups water and cook on LOW overnight.
3. Wake up to homemade chicken broth!
4. Drain well, removing all bones and skin.
5. Place in desired containers and place in refrigerator.
6. Take out of fridge and remove layer of fat.
7. Either use in a dish or place in freezer for later use, (freezes up to 6 months).
(I got about 32 oz of chicken broth but I accidentally turned the pot on "keep warm" instead of "low." Next time I'll put on LOW and I expect to get more broth.

Check back next time for Chicken Tortilla Soup, made using meat from the whole chicken and the homemade chicken broth!

No comments: