Thursday, September 20, 2012

Blessing Others... In Prayer




A few weeks ago I wrote a post about blessings people with food and how it's something I've felt called to do with the many food blessings we have. Today I figured I'd continue the "series" and talk on something else.

Prayer.

Something I can do often but something I do very little.

This past week I found out a girl I've known since she was about 4 years old (now 16 years old) is struggling. She's struggling with anorexia. I'm heartbroken. This is a girl who comes from a sweet and loving Christian family who you look at and think they're perfect. And yet here she is, struggling. It tells me no one is safe.

I'm at a loss for words. I held my girls and wept on last Thursday afternoon; struggling to wrap my brain around it. It's a word I've heard most of my life but never experienced or known anyone who's experienced it. I wept for my friend and her family. I wept for others who struggle with it. I wept for the unknown. Would my girls ever experience this?

In my head I play out scenarios of what I would say to her or write her in a note.

I don't know what to say.

All I can think to say is, "I'm praying for you. And if you ever want me to pray with you I can do that too."

We have made and continue to make healthier choices for our family. Daniel and I are the examples the girls see the most when it comes to food. I think I need to write this on a card and put it on the fridge and on the pantry. Would it make me more aware of making better choices? They don't notice now but in a couple of years they will. I don't want them to see me have a bad relationship with food. I don't want them to see all the struggles I have with it. Some struggles are okay; and I do want to be able to talk about everything with them. And food will be one of them.

This has been a wake up call for me. This is why we don't watch much TV. Food commercials, clothes and super skinny models are not what I want in my girls heads each day and night. This is why I have to change my thinking when it comes to food. I need to have a better relationship with food. This is why I need to pray. And not only for my friend and her family but for others and for my girls.




1 comment:

The Atwoods said...

This is so heartfelt, Ginny. And you're right - we can bless others tremendously in our prayers. You are a wonderful example of what a Godly woman is to your girls, I'm sure.