Friday, March 9, 2012

Minimizing: It's A Process!

For the past couple of years I've been reading some pretty amazing blogs about minimizing and simplifying life. I'll tell you that I was just going with the flow, buying what I thought I needed and what would make me happy, but it didn't and sit still doesn't. And all I was left with was a bunch of useless stuff filling up our closets and our floors making life harder than it needed to be. But, thanks to these blogs I saw I could live a different way. I saw that all that stuff that I thought I needed, well I really didn't need it like the world was telling me. So I made a decision and started changing the way I thought about what I brought into our home.

When we started house hunting in April of 2010 and then began packing for the move into our first home I really started paring down what we had. And we had a lot! Or I had a lot. :) Once we got moved in I went through more of our stuff. I realized that 1. we didn't have room and 2. we didn't need it and it hadn't been used and 3. I was tired of it! Being 8 months pregnant when we moved was actually helpful in paring down since I was nesting then. :)

Here we are 2 years later and I'm still de-cluttering. Honestly, it feels like it's been a never-ending process for the past couple of years. But I'm doing a little at a time and I feel accomplished every time I get something done.

In the past 2 months I've gone through our outside closet (this holds decorations and stuff for outside), our laundry room, pantry, both girls closets and our closet. That is all over the place but when the urge comes to minimize I jump at it. Just today I was reading how Rachel is clearing out her boys clothes. She has 2 beautiful boys and while the baby will need the big boys clothes in the next year or so she realized he wouldn't need as much as they have. I have been realizing the same thing, I just haven't been able to figure out what to do exactly. And I kept thinking, "What if Naomi does need more clothes? I don't want to get rid of them just in case." Well that's not the thinking I want to have because then I'll use that every time I start to minimize our things. Nyla didn't wear quite a few items and they were just stored in a box. I have my favorites which means I'll put Naomi in the same clothes I put Nyla in. So I am getting rid of a lot. I went through and filled up a large plastic tub of all kinds of clothes. Next week I'm going to take them to our local kid's consignment store and see if I can get some money for my clothes. What they don't take I'll immediately take to Goodwill so it never comes into my house again. I think it'll be win-win all around!

So, while I am making progress in minimizing, de-cluttering, paring down, getting rid of the excess... whatever you want to call it, I still feel overwhelmed about it all. I am taking it one day at a time, one month at a time and one space at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day! And my house will NOT be the way I want it in a day! This is especially true while I have 2 babies at home who are growing like weeds and they require a certain amount of stuff. What they don't require is a lot of stuff like I originally thought. Nyla is content reading, playing music and playing with her little kitchen. All her other toys are just in the way of her creative self!

Blogs that inspire me:

I have quite a few other favorite blogs but these two are truly my inspiration for getting rid of the stuff and not be bogged done by it. These are actually two of the first blogs I ran across about 3 years ago. I have no idea how I stumbled upon them but I'm thankful I did. I hope you find inspiration in them as much I have!

Now go out and conquer that pile of stuff that has been getting on your nerves for awhile, you know which one I'm talking about! :)



No comments: