Monday, July 25, 2011

Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies



Mmmm cookies! Who doesn't love them? I know we sure do. I try not to make too many desserts around here since I'm trying not to gain a ton of pregnancy weight and Daniel is trying to lose some more weight. But yesterday I had a craving for cookies and I may have found a replacement for my sugar cookie recipe (even though I love my sugar cookie recipe!).
These are very similar to the wonderful cookies you can buy at the grocery store. You know the ones? They have the icing tinted to match the season/holiday and they throw some sprinkles on them. The cookies are very soft and the icing is good. Well, these are very much like those. The icing isn't the same. Daniel says the icing could be sweeter but I think it's good the way it is. Besides, it's not going to be a perfect replica! We even tried the cookies without the frosting and they were really buttery and sweet. Throw a few sprinkles on those before they hit the oven and that's a nice treat. Of course, the icing is an added bonus.
Enjoy!

Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
Printer Friendly Recipe

Yield: about 2 dozen large cookies OR 4 dozen smaller cookies
(pictured are the smaller cookies)

Ingredients:
For the cookies:
4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
4 ½ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
3 large eggs
5 tsp. vanilla extract

For the frosting:
5 cups powdered sugar
⅓ cup (5 ⅓ Tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
7-8 Tbsp milk (plus more, if needed)
Food coloring (optional)
Sprinkles (optional)

Directions:
Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and blend. In a bowl with an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and mix together on medium until soft and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl if needed after the eggs. Mix in vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add in the dry ingredients until just combine.
For 2 dozen cookies: Scoop a scant quarter cup of dough and roll into a ball. Flatten the ball slightly and place on ungreased cookie sheet, spacing each about 2-3 inches apart.
For 4 dozen cookies: Use a Tbsp cookie dough scoop and scoop dough, flatten onto the cookie ungreased cookie sheet, spacing about 1-2 inches apart.

Bake cookies at 350 F for 10-12 minutes or until just set. You don’t want to overbake these so they stay soft. The edges should be no more than very lightly browned, if browned at all. (I baked mine for 12 minutes and they were NOT brown on the edges, just the bottom. They were perfectly baked). Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting: Place powderd sugar in a medium bowl and add the melted butter, vanilla and milk. Whisk until smooth; add more milk if necessary, 1 tsp at a time, to reach desired consistecy (not too runny or icing will run off cookies). Tint with food coloring if desired. Use a spatula to frost cooled cookies; place sprinkles on top if wanted. Store in airtight container.


The Verdict: These were "Husband Approved!" He LOVES the cookies from the grocery store because of the thick icing. He told me to make the icing for these cookies a thicker consistency so I can spread more icing on top and I do agree with that. I felt like I had a lot of icing leftover, but it was because I thinned it too much and then wasn't able to pile it on the cookie like I wanted. So if you want a thicker consistency, don't use as much milk. If you want a thinner coating, use more milk.
These cookies are definitely a sweet treat. If you're looking to portion control only have a couple of these a day! :) But they're worth every calorie!

This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wondering: Can margarine replace the butter in the cookie recipe? And in the icing recipe?

Ginny Gafford said...

I'm a butter gal, so I use butter always. I'm sure margarine would work fine here. I'm not sure the flavor would be as rich though. It's worth a try.