Thursday, July 28, 2011

Homemade BBQ Sauce

Who doesn't love homemade? Especially if it's easy to throw together in one container. And it's something you use frequently. This is that recipe... homemade bbq sauce.
When we were visiting my Grandparents down in Georgia last Fall, so they could meet their first great-grandchild my Grandmother (a fabulous cook/baker!), she made some chicken and had this bbq sauce. It's one she's had in her foray of recipes for years and is used frequently. I took down the recipe and have made it ever since. I won't go back to a store bought bottle again!

BBQ Sauce-from Grandmama

Yields: 32 oz

Ingredients:
3 cups (24 oz) ketchup
1/2 brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup molasses*
1/4 cup mustard
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. liquid smoke
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Red pepper flakes, to taste (I probably used a pinch)

Use a 32 oz ketchup bottle with 24 oz ketchup left. Add all ingredients. Shake well to combine. Refrigerate.

*I never had molasses in my kitchen until I talked to my Grandmother about it. She said she's always had it. And well, since she's such a good cook I decided why no?. And it is a nice staple to have on hand!



2 comments:

The Atwoods said...

This sounds delicious!!! I'm going to have to try this next time we make BBQ. Thanks for sharing :)

Ginny said...

It's great on anything you need bbq sauce on. We love it on bbq chicken sandwiches, etc.