Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sensory Box: Water

In the past couple of weeks I've found one of my new favorite sites, No Time For Flash Cards. It's packed full of craft ideas for babies, toddlers and older kids, sensory boxes, book recommendations and much more. I doubt I've even scratched the surface of this incredible site! Since I found it we've been crafting everyday. 

Last week Naomi and I went to Hobby Lobby and Target and picked up a bunch of craft supplies. I now have a giant box of craft supplies that is getting opened 2 to 3 times a day. Nyla climbs up in her chair at 6:30 in the morning and says, "Need to do something." Haha! She'll settle for markers or paint until I can get my craft supplies together for a specific project I have planned. She's my little craft girl and I love it!

I haven't been brave enough to give Naomi more than a crayon. She tends to eat those, still, and I haven't wanted to do much more. There are lots of crafty things for babies her age to do (she just turned 1 last week) but I'm nervous about paint and such. I guess I need to get over that. :)

Sensory boxes are something I see a lot of online these days. Because we have limited funds I'm trying to be super creative in the way we play and learn. These girls LOVE water so I thought our first sensory box could be water with bubbles, along with cups to pour and squirt toys. It's similar to their bath but I figured I'd see how they do with the water but not sitting in it.

My supplies for this sensory box are a storage bin filled with a couple inches of cold water, some shampoo for bubbles, a cup, little cups and squirt toys. Oh and beach towels to cover the floor. 


I laid the beach towels down, filled up the bin, mixed in some bubbles and threw in the toys. We rolled up sleeves and got to playing. I found their differences in how they played to be very funny and interesting. They're 15 months apart and while that won't be much later in life it's HUGE right now.


Naomi splashed and stuck in hands and arms in frequently. She also made a mess with her cups.
 Nyla is obsessed with bottles and tops so she went right for the empty shampoo bottle to open it, fill it, close it and squirt it.


You can see here that I've taken Nyla's clothes off because she was getting soaked. It didn't take long for them to both start splashing, a lot. I tried to keep that to a minimum since this isn't the bathtub.



Nyla started rubbing the bubbles all over her hands and arms, as you can somewhat see in this picture.



Naomi's little arms were getting drenched so now she's without a shirt. She's my splashy girl!



Okay, so I went to grab another towel, literally 15 steps away and when I got back they were both in the tub. Naomi still had her pants and diaper on and Nyla was in her panties. As you can see in this picture Naomi is without pants as I took them off immediately!



Since they were soaked from all the fun we just headed to the bath to rinse all the soap off of them. They're so silly!




Overall, I think they'll end up enjoying sensory boxes we do. While this one didn't last as long as I would've liked, they were too busy splashing and climbing in, they thought it was just like the bath so I'm not surprised. If I do water next time I may put in different toys from their bath toys to show them this is play and not bath time.

Do you have any sensory box ideas?


Seriously, check out No Time For Flash Cards. It's an awesome site with loads of craft ideas. I'm in craft heaven! And since I have a hard time coming up with crafty things, this is a great site for guidance.

No comments: