Thursday, November 22, 2012

29 Thanksgiving Thoughts

Every 5 or 6 years, my birthday happens to fall on Thanksgiving Day, and today this was the case. This will be my last year in the 20's. So in honor of that, and to be totally cliché, here are 29 reasons I am thankful this year... (in no particular order)

1. My awesome wife - She wears many hats and wears them well. We will celebrate 5 years of marriage next year, and I am thankful for her.
2. Tubes - Both girls had tubes put in their ears this year, and in both cases they made immediate impacts. Both girls became much happier and more like themselves.
3. My job - The company I work for was acquired this spring. With that came the usual questions about job security. I am thankful that I still have a job and enjoy what I do.
4. Naomi's gap-toothed, goofy grin - Seriously, that girl's smiles could make even the worst day better. When she crinkles that nose and shows all of her teeth, there's nothing better.
5. Nyla's smile - Our serious toddler is not one who freely gives out smiles to everyone like Naomi does, so when I get her to smile, it is great.
6. Both girls' laughs - Is there anything better than baby laughs?
7. My wife's cooking - I am the envy of my co-workers whenever I heat up a delicious plate of leftovers in the break room. Ginny can cook, ya'll!
8. Board games - I know I am a nerd, but I have many, many fond memories of playing board games with my family. Plus, Ginny likes to play them with me, something many husbands don't have.
9. My mom - Gigi as she's affectionately known as now, is a terrific mother and now grandmother. Nyla and Naomi now fuss over who's going to be held first. I am thankful she lives nearby and can give us a break every now and then!
10. A tall glass of water - I am a water-aholic. Our water is the best in the world, and I know others aren't as fortunate.
11. Our pediatrician - We've seen her way more than I would have liked, but she is great with the girls and takes time to talk with us about whatever we're there for.
12. Chocolate milk - I think coffee is terrible. Chocolate milk, on the other hand, is the best. Only now I'm having to share it with a couple of little people. (I'm not sure how I feel about that.)
13. The smell and sound of rain - One of my favorite smells is when it has just started or is about to start raining. The sound of rain is one of my favorite sounds. Refreshing and relaxing.
14. Nyla's vocabulary - We are at the point now where Nyla can carry on a conversation with us. Some of the things that come out of her mouth are hilarious.
15. Books - If Ginny or I say, "Bring a book to read," both girls will bring their own books. Right now, Nyla is into "Corderee" (Corduroy), while Naomi enjoys, "It's Time for Bed" and "Pat the Bunny."
16. Proverbs 11:2 - "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." My favorite verse in the Bible.
17. My dad - January 2013 will mark 14 years since his passing, but I am forever thankful for the memories and lessons I have. If I had one wish that could be granted, it would be for him to hold my girls one time. (Sorry, I know you need a tissue now.)
18. Fresh sheets - The smell and feel of fresh, clean sheets on the bed makes me happy. It's the little things we should remember to be thankful for.
19. Family - As Ginny can attest to, my family is unique, but we are close-knit and (generally) have a good time whenever we get together.
20. No cable - Some will gasp, but we don't have cable TV. We had it, got rid of it, and haven't missed it. There's not a whole lot worth watching right now anyway.
21. Nyla hugs and kisses - She gives the sweetest hugs and kisses. I know every day when I get home from work that there's a hug waiting for me!
22. Good sleepers - Our girls can get to sleep on their own and usually sleep great all night. We taught them to go to sleep on their own and self-soothe with lovies (blankies) and fingers (Nyla - index finger; Naomi - thumb).
23. America - The greatest country in the world.
24. The Memphis Zoo - Our zoo is one of the best in the world. Our girls love going to see all the animals. Thanks to Cookie (Ginny's mom) for getting us a membership package for Christmas every year!
25. Amazing Grace - Both the song and grace itself. How sweet the sound indeed.
26. Nyla's singing - Hearing her sing "Jesus Loves Me" makes me smile every time.
27. Naomi's kisses - Most of the time she will shake her head when I ask for one, but she gives me one, they are the best open-mouthed, drooly kisses ever.
28. Being surrounded by 3 beautiful girls for the rest of my life. What could be better?
29. I'm thankful I decided to write this post when I turned 29 and not 39!

I hope everything had a great Thanksgiving and enjoys the rest of the holiday weekend!

-D

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Happy birthday! Loved reading through this list and had to smile at "Ginny can cook y'all!" :)