Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Priority Time


The past week or so Hubby and I have been reading the book of 1 John together, but separate. :) By that I mean, the same passages on the same nights but we do our own study of it and then talk about it once we finish. It's been such an encouragement to me! I don't think he has any idea how much of an encouragement it's been. I struggle with spending quality time with God. I'm a "quality time" person so you'd think I wouldn't have any trouble with it but I do. It's always hurried and it's just not good. I feel like I don't get anything out of it when there's plenty to learn. I struggle with how to read actively, ask the right questions and write down my thoughts, without just rewriting every verse and still getting nothing out of it. Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who has constantly encouraged me through this struggle.

Hubby has been working HARD the last couple of weeks to get his thoughts down for a new small group he'll be leading at church (he'll lead and I'll make a snack). We've been talking about doing something in our home for 3 years, basically since we got married, but the timing just wasn't ever right. Now that we have a home we thought about hosting here but with a little one and another on the way there would be way too many distractions. So we decided to have it at church where childcare is available and there's another activity at church on Wednesday nights. :) It starts September 21st and we're so excited about it!

His first lesson for the study is "How to Study the Bible." It'll be about an 8 weeks study and I'm praying it will be an encouragement to everyone involved. Helping him and throwing out ideas has helped me already.

He's seen me struggle with my priority time with God and we started talking about it and what to do to help me and this study sprang from it. While he's been thinking and writing on this subject for some time things really started happening when we got into deep conversation about it. So I gave him a book I've had for at least 5 years to give him some ideas on how to teach on the subject and how to make it more accessible for new Christians as well as seasoned ones. He thinks so logically, which is great but can be hard for some people to understand. He wants me to help him keep it simple, since I think a bit more simply than he does. We are such different thinkers, hopefully that means we'll play off each other well to reach all the people in the study.

The book I gave him is Tim LaHaye's, How to Study the Bible for Yourself. It's a great book and while we both don't agree on a few of the things because we feel you can get bogged down in them, it's a helpful tool to get started on being more consistent with priority time.

I'm praying for God to prepare the hearts of those who are to come, my Hubby who is leading and all those who may be involved in the study and don't know the love of Jesus Christ.

No comments: