Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ice Cream Cake



Yummy ice cream cake!
We celebrated my mom's birthday last week and I offered to make her cake. I've been wanting to try my hand at SnoWhite's recipe for ice cream cake. I'm glad I did, so good!

And since it's finally starting to warm up around here, I thought ice cream would be in order. Well, why not just make an ice cream cake? So, I did.

Ice Cream Cake-modified from SnoWhite at Joy in my Kitchen

Cake:
1 cup flour
1/4 unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup oil (or applesauce)
3/4 cup warm water
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
3. Then, whisk in the sugar.
4. In another bowl combine the water, egg, vanilla, oil (or applesauce).
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until just moist.
6. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan, and bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack. My cake too about an hour.


Next:
Remove the ice cream from the freezer about 15 minutes before you plan to use it to soften a bit. I made homemade ice cream and started making it about 45 minutes into the cooling of my cake, so they'd be ready at exactly the same time. Since I made homemade, it's a soft-serve consistency, this made it easy to spread onto the completely cooled cake.

Spread the ice cream over the cake.
Get it as smooth as possible, then cover with plastic wrap or foil and freeze to harden, about 4+ hours. I put mine in the freezer overnight.

The next day, combine whipping cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Whip until stiff, about 6 minutes.

Spread the whipped cream over the frozen ice cream.
I then drizzle chocolate syrup on top and added 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. It looked so pretty!
Place back in the freezer for at least 2 hours to let whipped topping harden.
Take out 15 minutes before serving to soften, cut up and enjoy!!!

1 comment:

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

that looks so wonderful -- the chocolate swirl with the chocolate chips did make a beautiful pattern!