Thursday, January 14, 2010

Simple Pull-Apart Rolls


I love these rolls. It makes a ton from just one batch. And they have a little bit of sweet taste which makes them even better. I made about 27 pans of these for Christmas gifts in 2009; they were a hit! I also paired a small jar of homemade peach jam that my mom and I made this summer. Everyone had rave reviews about both. I don't think I'll be able to do all the pans for Christmas 2010 with a baby, but I'll figure something out. If I had a bigger freezer I could make a batch or two a day and freeze them and then give them out just like usual. We'll see how it goes.

Simple Pull-Apart Rolls-from Cooking During Stolen Moments

3/4 cup butter; room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp yeast (or 2 packets)
1 cup warm water
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking sodaa
7-8 flour (I used 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour from time to time)

1. In large mixing bowl, beat butter with the sugar until creamy. Add the boiling water and mix to combine. Cool to room temperature.
2. While that cools, dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water. Add to mixing bowl along with the eggs. Mix well. Stir in salt, baking powder, baking soda and 5 1/2 cups flour, until combined.
3. Working with 1/2 cup at a time, add remaining flour until dough comes together. It's okay if the dough is a little sticky. Knead on a floured surface for 8 minutes.
4. Roll the dough into evenly shaped balls, about the size of a golf ball and place into 3 round pans (8 or 9 inch). Cover and let rise until doubled, 1 to 2 hours.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
And enjoy!

To freeze: Cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and freeze.

No comments: