Tuesday, January 19, 2010

French Bread


I love bread! But who doesn't?
My friend SnoWhite, over at Joy in my Kitchen has a wonderful french bread recipe that I make a bunch. It's easy and delicious and everywhere I take it gets rave reviews! She has a wheat version coming soon and I can't wait to try it!
No more talking and more writing on the bread recipe! So here it is...

French Bread (for the bread machine)-from SnoWhite

Makes 1 1/2 lb loaf (enough for a family of 4)

1 cup + 1 Tbsp warm water (about 80 degrees F)
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
2 tsp active dry yeast OR 1 1/2 tsp bread machine/fast rise yeast

Depending on the order ingredients go into your bread machine... place ingredients in the machine. I combined mine the following way:

1. Place warm water in the bread maker
2. Butter, cut into chunks
3. Salt
4. 3 cups bread flour
5. Sugar
6. Yeast

Then set the bread machine on the dough setting and allow dough to knead. My setting takes about an hour and a half.
After dough cycle ends, remove dough and place on floured surface. Cover and allow dough to sit for 15 minutes.
Knead dough just a bit and shape into a loaf.
Cover, and let dough rise for 30 minutes. Rising a bit longer won't hurt it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly spray a cookie sheet and bake for 15-25 minutes or until slightly browned on top. Mine usually takes 20-22 minutes.

Let cool a bit before cutting into. And enjoy!

1 comment:

SnoWhite said...

first... love the new look! very nice.

second -- this is likely one of my favorite breads, ever. Glad to see others enjoying it too.