Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Shipwreck Dinner

This recipe is from my favorite site Kraft Food and Family. I love this site (and the magazine) because it has quick and easy recipes. And most of the time the recipes contain items I already have in my pantry and freezer. If I don't have them I don't have to go to Kroger or Wal-Mart to find the food items I need, I just go to my usual place (I love shopping at Aldi).

This is a recipe I've had for over a year and have never tried it. As I've said, I'm trying to make an effort to try some different things. While this isn't the most unusual recipe, I was thrown off by the picture in the magazine. It didn't look appetizing to me at all and I'm at the point where food items need to look a little appetizing.

Since I've planned my menu for the next 3 months and have vowed to stick with it (since it saves me time and us money), I wanted to stick with this and try it. And we weren't disappointed. It actually was very delicious. But what isn't delicious about ground beef and macaroni and cheese? Here's the recipe.

Shipwreck Dinner-modified from Kraft Foods

1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 pkg. (7 1/4 oz) Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Dinner (I used Aldi brand)
1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen green peas (I didn't add these because Hubby is allergic)
1 cup milk
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese

1. Brown meat in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain.
2. Stir in macaroni, cheese sauce mix, tomatoes, peas and milk. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer 12 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
3. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Makes 4 servings; about 1.5 cups each.
Calories 510, Fat 15g, Carbs 52g, Sugars 13g, Protein 41g

*I think next time I'll used diced tomatoes or Rotel, undrained, instead of stewed tomatoes. Hubby isn't a fan of big tomato pieces and I didn't feel like blending them a little.
*It was quick and easy and a nice warm dish on a very cold night tonight.

Happy Cooking!

2 comments:

SnoWhite said...

I'd say the crockpot apple cake would serve about 6!

enjoy!

Paula Schuck said...

My kids just made this one with their aunt at her house and I thought it tasted very good.