Tuesday, August 7, 2012

3 Benefits of Getting Up Earlier

As my wife has posted before, we have both been getting up at 5:00am every weekday for the last four (and now five) weeks. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, she does the "Couch to 5k" program with her sister (and she is rocking, ya'll) while I do an exercise video here at the house (because it's not a good idea to leave two sleeping girls home alone). On Tuesday and Thursday, we get up and do our Bible studies/priority times.

For me, this was a big shift in my morning routine. My work schedule is 6:30-3:00, meaning that I would get up usually at the latest possible time that would let me be on time for work - 5:40 or so. Needless to say, this has been an adjustment for both of us, but it has been a great decision. I'll outline 3 reasons why, but of course there may be more that I am missing.

1.) It gives us time to ourselves - This is more for Ginny, who, by the time 6:30 rolls around, has at least one rugrat wanting her attention. I can't imagine what a stay-at-home mom goes through every day and am thankful my wife is one. This hour and a half she gets in the mornings helps her when the fussing inevitably starts. As parents of two young children, our time is precious, and if we can get in some time to ourselves, we will take advantage of that. We cannot neglect our own personal time. If we do neglect our personal time, we will lose patience quicker and not engage with our girls like they (and we) need.

2.) It gives me more energy - Every day, from about 1:30 to 2:30, I hit a wall. That's my post-lunch crash. That's when I feel the most tired, and, if I am having a bad day, the most down. I have found that since getting up earlier and working out, the post-lunch crash is not as severe. It doesn't vanish completely but definitely is not as strong as it used to be.

3.) We sleep better at night - Ginny and I are very different sleepers. By that, I mean that she falls asleep and pretty is in a deep sleep all night. I, on the other hand, am a fairly light sleeper. I am always the first to know when one of the girls fusses. Thunder will wake me up. Ginny can also attest to me being startled if she closes a door too loudly. However, since we started getting up early, I have slept better. I have also been going to bed earlier, too, which has definitely helped.

So what are you waiting for? Or better yet, what would 30 extra minutes in the morning do for your day? Think about it. If you're already doing this, what some of your benefits or reasons?

Have a great day.

-D

No comments: