Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Double Fudge Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting




This cake is AMAZING!
We had a family friend come into town last week for a business trip and he was able to come by and have dinner with us. I was in charge of dessert, shocking I know!

I've been addicted to The Food Network lately. I can't turn it off. Seriously, I can't. It's on 24 hours a day. Okay, maybe not 24 hours, but 8 hours. Any who, I saw this dessert and knew I wanted to make it. It's decadent, chocolately, rich, and oh so good! And it was easy to make. I know I know, I say that about every recipe, but it really was. Yes, the cake is made from scratch, but it's not 800 ingredients and it's probably stuff you already have in your pantry. So, go and make this cake!



Double Fudge Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
2 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs, at room temperature
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
3/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature

For the frosting:

24 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature


Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour 3, 9 inch cake pans.
2. In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream butter and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, until they're well incorporated.
4. Combine the buttermilk and sour cream.
5. On low speed, add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture alternately in thirds, starting with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix the batter only until blended.
6. Pour the batter into prepared pans (its thick and dense, so you'll have to spread it a little). Bake for 15-25 minutes, checking after 15 minutes by placing a toothpick in the center. If it comes out gooey, put it back in the oven for 2-3 minutes at a time. If the toothpick has little crumbs on it, it's done. Take it out of the oven, cool on a cooling rack in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.

While your cakes are baking, start on the frosting.

1. Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream into a bowl a set over simmering water. Melt chocolate and cream until smooth, stirring occasionally.
2. Off the heat, add the corn syrup and vanilla and stir to combine. Allow this mixture to COOL to room temperature (this is important so do it!).
3. In your stand mixture or hand mixer, place cooled chocolate mixture in the bowl with 1/2 stick unsalted butter (room temperature) and beat on medium speed until thick, 5-10 minutes.
4. Spread the frosting onto the cooled cakes. And enjoy!

The Verdict:
This cake was very dense and delicious. It tasted a little dry and was crumbly, so I may not leave it in the oven as long (I think I baked it for 20 minutes), but it may be crumbly because it's such a dense cake.
The frosting was AMAZING! It was easy to put together and spread great on the cake. I felt like it was going to fall off the cake because of the consistency, but it looked beautiful and stayed on. The corn syrup made it so shiny and beautiful.

I only used 2 of the 3 layers I baked (saving one for something else) because it looked like it was going to be so tall and I just felt like we didn't need so much cake for the event I made it for (there were only 6 of us!). But if you're making it for a big family gathering or a potluck, use the 3rd layer. And the 3rd layer will probably make it look more dramatic and beautiful. And there was more than enough frosting for all 3 layers. I should've put it on a little thicker, I felt like it could've used more.

My mom really liked the frosting. She said it wasn't overly sweet and had great texture. Everyone seemed to enjoy it!

No comments: