Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lower Calorie Potato Soup

I am a member or SparkPeople.com. And they have fabulous recipes that are lower calorie options. I am pregnant but I don't want to gain 50 pounds. I worked really hard to lose 20 pounds and just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I'm "eating for two." I've been reading up on all that and you only need 300-500 more calories a day to support the growing child. That's a relief! I would love to gain no more than 30 pounds in this pregnancy and I will continue to count calories and continue walking. It will help me and baby and hopefully to have an easier delivery! I'm praying for that anyways!
So here is a great soup recipe I found on Spark People. I love soups. They help stretch my grocery budget and are quick and easy to thaw out and eat during the busy season that is coming up. Enjoy.

Baked Potato Soup-from Chef Meg at sparkpeople.com

7 large baked potatoes
3 T butter, unsalted
1 1/2 c onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup celery, diced fine
3 T flour
2 cup chicken stock, low sodium
4 cup skim or 1% milk
1/4 tsp white or black pepper
2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 T scallions, chopped (optional)
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Remove skin from baked potatoes and chop into 1-inch cubes; set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium until melted and frothy.
Add onions and cook for 2 minutes.
Add celery and garlic to the saucepan and continue to "sweat" the veggies for 3 minutes.
Lower the heat slightly so the veggies do not brown.
Add flour to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon and cook for 2 minutes; make sure to scrape the spoon against the bottom and edges of the saucepan to pick up any of the mixture that might of settled to the bottom of the pan.
Slowly whisk in the stock until it is all incorporated.
Add diced potatoes to the mixture.
Slowly add milk; do not boil, stirring occasionally.
Cook soup over medium to low heat for 20 minutes.
While soup is cooking, cook the bacon until crisp.
Remove and drain on a paper towel.
Crumble bacon and set aside for garnish.
(If you prefer a smooth soup, puree the mixture.)
Serve in warm bowls, garnish with chopped scallion, pinch of bacon and 3/4 Tbsp cheese.

Make 15, 1 cup servings.

Number of servings: 15

Calories: 259.3
Fat: 8.6g
Carbs: 36.2g
Protein: 10.6g

No comments: