Thursday, November 19, 2009

How About Some Ham?

Okay, this ham is amazing!
And just in time for the holiday season!
It is a delicious ham that my mom's best friend has been making for a few years. We usually have it on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. My Hubby is picky, but he absolutely loves this ham.
Well, I ventured out to try it. And it turned out pretty great! I honestly was VERY nervous about it. Stuff like this can be tricky to prepare, in my opinion anyways.
But there's good news. Just follow the recipe, it's so easy!

Vicki's Holiday Ham-Vicki V.

-Mash's shank ham (smallest works) I think mine was 7 lb, on sale at Schnuck's
-small jar of honey (you'll use the whole thing)
-brown sugar (3+ cups, packed)
-heavy duty foil (3 pieces, layered together)
-large roasting pan
-crock pot

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Tear 3 sheets of heavy duty foil and layer together in the roasting pan.
3. Pour 1/4 of the bottle of honey onto foil, cover with brown sugar, about 1 cup, then place ham on top.
4. Pour rest of bottle of honey all over ham, make sure all sides are covered.
5. Dump brown sugar on top and sides, patting brown sugar into honey and ham to cover.
6. Wrap foil TIGHTLY and place in oven, 325 degrees.
7. Cook for 6 hours and NO peeking! Just leave it for the 6 full hours. LEAVE IT ALONE!
8. After 6 hours remove from oven, unwrap ham.
9. Dump juice from ham into crock pot.
10. Cut up ham if it's needed. It might fall off the bone on its own and place in crock pot.
11. Keep the crock pot on WARM if serving right away.
12. I make this the day before and keep in crock pot overnight in the fridge, then heat on LOW until the temperature is reached for serving. Then when its heated, turn to WARM.
-The ham will continue to soak up all those good juices in the crock pot. It seems like a lot of work and steps, but I promise it's worth it! And it's so EASY. I promise. I'm not one for complicated recipes.

This post is linked back to Grocery Cart Challenge.

1 comment:

heartnsoulcooking said...

I love the idea of keeping the ham warm in the crock pot. Your glaze recipe sounds WONDERFUL!!! No peaking is going to be hard for the hubby. I will have to put a lock on the oven. LOL
I have become a follower of your blog. I love to share recipes and ideas, come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
THANKS!!! for the recipe and idea.
Geri