Thursday, July 19, 2012

10,000 Reasons

This is the chorus to one the more recent worship songs written by Matt Redman. It has quickly become one of my favorites. One, the lyrics are awesome. Two, it's easy to play on the guitar.
Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I worship Your holy name
Anyway, we sang this at church this past Sunday. Our worship leader paused after the chorus to say a few words. The name of the song is actually called "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)", based in part on the below second verse.


You're rich in love and You're slow to anger
Your name is great and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
10,000 reasons for my heart to find
So our worship pastors asks people to call out some reason to bless or praise the Lord. People call out various answers. His love. His grace. His mercy. The idea was to get us all focused on reason to praise and sing to the Lord. 


That prompted some thought from me that afternoon. 10,000 reasons. That's a lot. That's the first thing I thought. Then I thought about this question - could I actually think of 10,000 reasons? Do I have that many reasons to be thankful and praise the Lord? What if I listed one reason each day until I have reached 10,000 reasons? That would take about 27 years and about 4 months (yes, I did the math). If I listed 2 reasons per day, that would take 13 years and 7 months.

Psalm 146:1-2 says, "Praise the Lord. Praise the Lord, O my soul. I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live." (Italics mine.)

I will leave you with this challenege. Come up with a list of 10,000 reasons. Start on it today. Add 1 or 2 each day until you get to 10,000 or your time on earth is done.

Have a great day!

-D

No comments: