Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Baked Mashed Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese and Bread Crumbs


Ummm... can we say delicious?

I'm not one to go all out on side dishes for dinner, I'm content with a baked potato or rice, but I saw this recipe while I was watching Food Network one day and saw how easy it was and wanted to make it. I planned on make it for Saturday night for our Sunday School Christmas party. Hubby ended up not feeling great, so we didn't go, but I still wanted to make it. Glad I did.

It's cheesy, but not overly cheesy, a little crunchy (I love a little crunch) and quick to put together. It was a hot and delicious side dish for us to enjoy, a special treat.


Ingredients:
nonstick cooking spray
4 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 14 small to medium size potatoes)
1 cup milk (I used 2% and a little heavy cream; the recipe called for whole but I don't keep that around)
1 stick butter, melted
1.5 cups mozzarella cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp plain dry bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and chop potatoes and cook in a large pot of boiling salt water for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
2. Return potatoes to pot and mash well. Mix in milk and melted butter, mozzarella cheese and 3/4 cup of the parmesan cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for topping). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place potato mixture into greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese on top of mashed potatoes.
3. Stir bread crumbs and 1/4 cup reserved parmesan cheese and sprinkle
4. Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, until topping is golden brown.

This is a great make-ahead recipe and can be refrigerated up to 6 hours.
Serves 6-10 people

The Verdict:
Um, awesome. It had that classic mashed potato taste, but with some extra cheesy goodness. We loved the topping and I upped the bread crumbs from 2 to 3 Tbsp, because we like an extra crunch. It was a great change from mashed potatoes and was warm and yummy on this chilly night.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This sounds sooo delicious! The perfect comfort food. Thanks for the recipe, I'm gonna try it for Sunday dinner.