Friday, September 3, 2010

Creamy Crock Pot Cheesecake

Yes, you read right, cheesecake in the crock pot. Oh my!

My sister came over Wednesday night for dinner and a visit so I made crock pot cheesy chicken spaghetti and french bread. I wanted a dessert that I wouldn't have to fool with while I cleaned house and took care of N. This cheesecake was the perfect dessert. While I don't usually make dessert for just us, I wanted to try this recipe. It took me maybe 10 minutes to prep and I threw it in the crock pot and left it for 3 hours, awesome!

Crockpot Cheesecake: modified from A Year of Slowcooking

Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp melted butter

Filling:
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (unwrap them and zap them in the microwave for about 30 seconds; mine needed a little more)
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup heavy cream (I actually didn't have heavy cream, so I used half-n-half as a substitute)
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp flour

Directions:

Find a heat resistant dish that will fit in your crockpot. You will be making a water bath for the cheesecake.
I used a 9 inch round cake pan in my 6 quart oval crockpot. The cake pan sat on the rim of the crockpot and somewhat floated in the crockpot filled with water, but was still stable.
You could also try a 1.5 qt Corning Ware dish in a 6 qt oval. I didn't have this so had to opt for the 9 inch cake pan.

Place graham crackers in a plastic zipper bag and crush; I used my rolling pin. Put a cup of the crumbs into a bowl with melted butter and brown sugar and stir until wet and crumbly; it's best to use your hands. Press crumb mixture into bottom of pan you're using (I tried to push mine up the side of the cake pan a little bit too). Use the bottom of a drinking glass to make an even layer of crust.

In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, flour, cream and vanilla. Pour the cheese mixture on top of the crust.

If you use the cake pan like I did, fill the crockpot almost to the top so it covers the majority of the cake pan; 1/2 to 3/4 up the cake pan. If you use a Corning Ware dish, add about a cup of water to the bottom of the pot. Be careful not to splash any of the water on the cheesecake.

Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours, checking after 1 hour of cook time, just in case. The cheesecake is done with the edges are no longer shiny and have set. Gently touch the cheesecake, if you don't get a bunch of cake on your finger, it's done.

I cooked mine for about 2 hours and 10 minutes. After yours is done, keep cheesecake covered and unplug crockpot. Leave it in the crockpot for 1 hour; transfer to refrigerator for about 2 hours before serving. I left mine in there about 3 hours, I like my cheesecake cold.

The Verdict.
Awesome! Hubby and Sister loved it. They all said it was really creamy and delicious. I loved mine as well. It was the consistency I like in a cheesecake and was really creamy. Hubby would of liked a little fruit topping and I agree. I love plain cheesecake but I do like a fruit topping too, preferably strawberry.
I also loved it because I didn't have to turn on the oven and heat the whole house. And using the crockpot to make cheesecake just blew my mind.

Note: As most cheesecakes are, it was even better the next day.



This link is posted to Flash Back Friday.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a clever idea! And it sounds delicious! I really like your print friendly option - that's great!