Saturday, January 18, 2014

Stocks and Bonds [Board Game Review]

Courtesy user Andre_g54 geekdo.com
Well hello again, dear readers. I am back once again with another game review for you. Today, we are going old school. Like really old school. As in, "this game first came out in 1964" old school. Don't let its age fool you, though. It's actually a fun game when you accept it for what it is.

Stocks and Bonds is a game about... no, not that. It's a game about the stock market. The game is for 2-8 players, but in reality, you could play with more, as long as you have enough score sheets, pens, and stock certificates. The goal of the game is very simple: Accumulate the most money at the end of 10 "years" (turns) by buying and selling 9 stocks and 1 bond as prices fluctuate during the turns. Some stocks are set to be more volatile than others, just like the real-life stock market. The flow of the game goes like this: You draw a card to set the market conditions (bear or bull market); roll the dice and adjust the stock prices according to the dice roll; then buy and sell stocks into and out of your portfolio. You'll want to read the rules (as if I would say anything else) to get the complete flow of play.

Now what do I think of this game? Well, I like it. It would be an excellent game to teach math skills and basic (very basic) ideas of the stock market for children. Once the girls are older, we will definitely play this game for those reasons. It's a simple to learn, fun game. However, compared to the games I've previously talked about, this one is low on the strategy level and high on the luck level. Stock prices are determined by the roll of the dice. While some would argue the current market is random like rolling dice, this can lead to games where the stocks generally plummet and you're left with little cash. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy this game, and I will play it if in the mood or if Ginny wants to play it. This is not, however, a game I will pull off the shelf right away when we play games. If you take the game for what it is, a fun, light, random game about the stock market, I think you will enjoy it. Even with it being 50 years old, you should still be able to find some copies available on the interwebs. I rate this game a 5.5 out of 10. (By the way, below is a look at how geekdo.com presents their rating system.) As I said, if I'm the mood for it, I will play it.












I hope everyone has nice, extended weekend!

-D

No comments: