Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Easy Pie Crust

I love to bake... obviously from my recipe index!
Recently an old friend on my mom's came into town so I brought a dessert to the dinner party. The dessert was Chocolate Silk Pie and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! The homemade pie crust was just as good. I love a good crust on a good pie. In my opinion, if the crust is no good, the pie is ruined. So here's my recipes for an easy pie crust.

Easy Pie Crust-from Kitchenaid

2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening, well chilled
2 Tbsp butter, well chilled
5-8 Tbsp cold water

Place flour and salt in large mixer with paddle attachment, mix about 2 seconds. Cut in shortening and butter and mix until the mixture is the size of peas.
While the mixer is going, add water 1 Tbsp at a time, until moistened and begins to resemble dough (it won't quite come together like a ball, but close enough).
Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 15-30 minutes.

Roll one half to 1/8 inch thickness, roll onto pastry roller and unroll into ungreased 8 or 9 inch pie plate. Pour in pie filling and if recipe calls for 2 crusts, repeat above step and place on top of filled pie. If recipe is only for 1 crust, wrap other crust well and freeze. (I doubled the recipe I was doing so I made 2 pies, baked as directed and cooled completely, wrapped well with clear wrap and froze. It was just great.)

After you've rolled your pie crust and filled it with desired filling, bake as directed by recipe you are using until golden brown. Enjoy!


No comments: