Tuesday, February 15, 2011

BBQ Pork Stew

This is a fantastic recipe, a family favorite now. It's so good and it's quick to put together. No more talking, we'll go straight to the recipe. Enjoy! :)


BBQ Pork Stew-from Grandmama Cook

1-3 lb pork loin
1 Tbsp Grill Mates BBQ Seasoning
1-18 oz bottle smoky mesquite bbq sauce
1-14 oz can chicken broth
1-32 oz chicken broth
2-16 oz bags vegetable soup mix
2-14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (Hunts)
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rub roast with the dry seasoning and place in a foil lined 13 x9 in. pan.
Pour bbq sauce and 14 oz can of chicken broth onto roast. Cover tight with foil.
Bake 1-1.5 hours or until fork tender.
Remove roast from the pan and save the drippings.
Shred the roast after it's cooled a bit.
Pour drippings into a large pot.
Add the pork, 32 oz broth and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce and simmer for 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!

The Verdict:
Delicious and easy! It has a sweet flavor from the bbq sauce and it's just wonderful.
I used mesquite seasoning (grill mates) since I couldn't find the bbq seasoning. I also used just a Kraft mesquite bbq sauce and not smokey mesquite bbq sauce, as I couldn't find it either.
As for the vegetable soup mix I may try and and do my own next time. All the mix contains is ocra, corn, carrots, celery, potatoes, lima beans and peas. I think a bit of each would do the trick, maybe 1/2 cup to 1 cup? And the mix is expensive to me, when I have most of the other vegetables already pre-chopped in my freezer for other meals, but we'll see.
Also, the fire roasted tomatoes, Kroger has their own brand for a little cheaper than Hunt's, but that's personal preference. The ingredients list didn't have much on it that I keep in my pantry, but this soup is worth it!
I did double this recipe and needed a huge stock pot for it, but now I have some in the freezer for later, as in this week for dinner. :)

I took this to our SOUPer Bowl party a couple weeks ago and it was a hit. I know I'll be making this soup quite often in the winter!

1 comment:

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I've never heard of a pork stew before! Great idea!