Monday, May 9, 2016

Whole 30 and Paleo Recipes

Food is my jam. It's a good thing and a bad thing. I'm thinking about food a lot. I'm thinking about the 3 meals I'm cooking each day to feed our growing family and snacks in between. I'm a real foodie and most everything in my kitchen needs to be cooked. So I have to plan. And that's okay with me because I love a good plan!

We've been eating some new to us foods and recipes. Some have been good and some bad. I like Pinterest for finding new recipes, though they can be real flops. But I guess that's just like any recipe. Here are some recipes we've been trying.

Suppers:

Verdict: We liked these. They didn't brown up like tenders in the deep fryer do but they were still delicous!

Verdict: We all liked this. I wasn't sure how Daniel or the girls would like this but it was really tasty and I didn't even miss the gobs of cheese you usually find in lasagna. The "noodles" are made out of cauliflower, so that's a little bit of a process but it wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be.

Verdict: First, let me say we are NOT cabbage people. We joined a local CSA from a local farm and got a cabbage. I didn't know what to do with it. I asked my friends on Facebook what they do with it, then found a recipe on Pinterest. Oh my goodness, it was delicious! Both Daniel and I were SO skeptical but wow. I made some of the Whole 30 ranch dressing and drizzled it on my helping, yum! Nyla even gobbled this up for dinner last night and lunch today. The key is not to overcook the cabbage. I like a little bit of a crunch left in it and I did it. I also added cut up kielbasa. I added it a couple minutes after I added the cabbage so it could heat through. And it was all so tasty. I think I'll definitely be making it again.

Verdict: This was just okay. It had good flavor but I don't think it was a flavor that just wowed us. We all have different taste buds but this just didn't do it for us.



Sides:

This is such a weird name!
Verdict: Yummy! I've made these at least 3 times in the last 3 months and they never disappoint. Here's some advice: don't overcrowd the pan with a bunch of potatoes. They need room for the oven heat to circulate around them and cook them. They won't all be crispy but more like a baked potato. If you're able to cut the pieces and have some flop out, they'll crisp up more. But they are great!

Vegetables vegetables and more vegetables!
I roast mine in the oven. 400 degrees F. My favorites are brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli. Roast about 30-40 minutes. Before putting them in the oven drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Yum-o!
I also love green beans. I use my cast iron skillet almost daily and I always cook my green beans in it. First, start with bacon. 4-6 pieces, cut up and placed in the hot pan (medium heat). Cook until almost crispy then place the green beans in the pan, as many as you want. I've used frozen and fresh, either are fine. I stir them frequently for approximately 8-10 minutes. I do drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. No water is needed. They are divine this way!


Breakfast:

I'll be honest, breakfast has been tricky for me. I love sweet stuff for breakfast and that just isn't doable on the Paleo diet. Now. we only have sweet stuff (i.e. pancakes, waffles, etc) occasionally. Yes, there are recipes out there for Paleo pancakes, etc, and I've made them and we like them. But we don't need them everyday, so I do try and limit that. 
I eat a lot of eggs. I'm talking tons. I eat at least 2 every morning, fried and a little runny. That yolk just tastes so buttery to me. Mmmm! The girls eat theirs scrambled. I think I usually scramble 6 or 7 each morning and between the 3 of them they can put them away. We always do a fruit with our breakfast. They could live on fruit alone so there's always plenty around. I also like bacon in the morning with my eggs. I mean it's bacon. Need I say more?


Lunch:

Lunch tends to be leftovers in our home. That's just easiest and convenient for us. We'll have sandwiches occasionally but I try and limit their gluten intake. I've noticed if they have too much in their diet they get a little crazy but Nyla gets bags under her eyes and looks worn out. I think gluten is her enemy more than it is for the other girls. But it's a theory and I'm testing it out for her.


And there you have it. I know it's not much but I get a lot of recipes from my cookbooks, too. I try and have my paleo cookbooks handy at all times and I'm finding the authors have come up with great substitutions for my favorite foods. They've done all the hard work for me!



Favorite Cookbooks:




The Pioneer Woman: Dinnertime (not technically paleo but I've made a few adjustments to the recipes I've tried to make them paleo for us)








No comments: