Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My First Carcassonne [Board Game Review]

Hi, hello, and welcome again, my friends, to another board game. This one is going to be a special one, because it is the first game we have played that was specifically designed for kids and one that the girls got for Christmas this year - My First Carcassonne.


My First Carcassonne is a game for 2-4 players age 4+ and should take no more than 20 minutes. This is game that the junior version of Carassonne, which I previously reviewed here. My First Carcassonne is very similar to its parent, in that on your turn you draw a tile and place it on the table/floor/playing surface. Unlike its parent, every tile has the exact same edges - all roads. Once a road is completed, and by that I mean it starts and ends at a building or makes a complete loop back to the same tile, you place one of your 8 meeples on the road if your color person is on that road. (See the below picture.) The game ends either when one person places all 8 meeples on the board, or play all the tiles, in which case the winner(s) is (are) whoever placed the most meeples on the board.
As you can see in the picture above, the tiles all have roads at each side, but each tile has different things on it. We've found that the 20-minute playing time is the perfect length of a game for the girls. Any longer, and I think they would lose interest in it. Naomi, 3 years and 2 months old, does not understand the goal of the game. She likes drawing a tile, putting it on the board next to her, and placing a meeple. When we play, I try to explain that this road is not finished or that this one is because it starts here and ends there. She's still too young to grasp the gameplay right now, but I know that she will get it as we play more. Nyla, now 4 and a half, does somewhat understand how the game works. We try to coach her some on where to put her tiles, and why she should put it where we tell her. I try not to coach her too much, because I want her to explore and discover the game for herself. I think that as we play more, I will tell her why I am putting tiles where I am, and hopefully she will begin to understand more. So while the game box does say for ages 4+, you do have to take care to explain things clearly. 

In short, we really like this game and look forward to playing it more with the girls. I asked Nyla if she liked this game. "Yeah, because I do. It's fun."

Have a great day!

-D

1 comment:

Meghan W said...

Oooh, fun! Thank you for reviewing and sharing. I enjoyed your post of family games. I am keeping them in mind as gift ideas. Thank you!