Saturday, August 17, 2013

Nyla turns 3!


This post is only a month late, but at least I'm getting it done, right?!

On July 13, Nyla turned 3! And I actually made it through the day without weeping uncontrollably. I usually lose it on birthdays. I know that sounds crazy, but it's going by so quick! With each of the girls birthdays come big tears from Mama. I know they're doing what they're supposed to do but I can be a little bit sad. 

Nyla had a big day! The day of her birthday turned out to be KidFest at our church (a block party for the neighborhood to promote our children's ministries). It turned out to be a beautiful and perfect day for the block party. There was face painting, indoor carnival games, a train the kids could ride, petting zoo, pony rides, bouncy houses, sno cones, free hot dogs and chips, the Bartlett K9 unit demonstration, Shelby County K9 demonstration, Shelby County boat patrol unit and Bartlett fire truck and firemen. There was a lot going on and it was awesome! We had quite a few people from the community come and enjoy all the activities. Of all these activities Nyla did every. single. one. This was truly shocking ya'll! She's been scared of everything the past year and we thought we'd go, support our church and be gone in an hour. Turns out she had the best time of anyone. For some reason she got over all her fears that day. I guess that's what happens when you turn 3?! At first she didn't want in the bouncy houses but with a little pushing from Daddy and Mimi (our preschool director, her name is actually Kathy) she went in and loved it! And so continued the day of her surprising us! 

Be prepared for picture overload! We had a busy day.


This picture is out of place but I had to show a close-up of Nyla's birthday cupcakes. I ordered special Sesame Street cupcakes from a local in-home baker and  they were very cute! This is something I decided was fun but fairly pricey. I'll be baking her cake or cupcakes next year. :)

Daddy and Nyla enjoying the bouncy house.


Yes, Daniel loves the bouncy houses more than anyone. And he's not afraid to admit it. :)





The petting zoo. It had a llama, goats, sheep, horses, a donkey, bunnies, a duck, ferrets, turtles,  and chickens.
The baby goat in the cage was about a week old. He or she was so cute!


Nyla petting the ferret. Very surprising!


And Nyla holding the ferret. I flipped when she held it. It was shocked and so proud. This was a big deal!!!



The petting zoo came with the cutest little train that the little ones could ride around in. It was a hit!

The full train.


Enjoying her first sno cone.



Sitting in the fire truck. I forgot how tall they are!


Face painting time! She got a beautiful butterfly



This is pretty much the best picture I got of Naomi. She got a heart painted on her face.

Riding the horse, "Ladybug." Again, shocking!

Naomi's favorite thing of the day were the turtles.





Naomi and I tried to enjoy the puppet show but we left when the camel started talking. It freaked her out.


Beginning of the birthday party pictures!

The birthday girl! She wore an Elmo shirt and a skirt my mom and I made her (it has Sesame Street characters on it and it's so cute) and her birthday crown.



Excited for cupcakes!


The table!
The Ernie cookie jar, on the right, belongs to my sister, Erin. For some reason I started calling her Ernie when we were younger and it's stuck with her all this time. The girls even call her Aunt Ernie, which she loves!
 The lunch boxes on the left we had as well as the little snack boxes sitting below Ernie. I printed out Cookie Monster and taped him to the chocolate chip cookie plate. I bought Elmo napkins and cupcakes and I had the rest of the decor. 

Y'all, she was so excited about everyone singing her "Happy Birthday." She talked about it for two weeks, asking if we would. She really understood that it was her birthday and loved every minute of it. It was fun watching her face light up when everyone started singing to her!



I didn't get a picture of her blowing out the candle but she did it, all by herself. We didn't even practice beforehand either. She did great!



Her friend, L, enjoying a "Super Grover" cupcake. So sweet!



Mmm, Elmo cupcake.

Ernie likes Nyla's birthday crown.



I made the 3 out of two taped together posterboards (green, her favorite color). We wrote some of the funny things Nyla's said this year and put them in the shape of the 3. I had intentions of putting a current picture of Nyla at the end of the 3 but I never got around to it. She's grown so much from her going home picture 3 years ago. *tear*


A bigger view of the dessert/decoration table.


We had a great day celebrating Nyla! Now, I must go cry a little bit. My girl is getting too big!

2 comments:

erin said...

She is so sweet, Ginny! What a little lady she is becoming.

That's so funny you call your sister Ernie because I had some friends in college who did that, and they even gave me a stuffed Ernie for my 21st birthday, ha!

Ginny Gafford said...

Thanks Erin!

I never thought another Erin would be called Ernie, so funny!