Thursday, December 15, 2011

Becoming a (Realistic) Minimalist

The past year I've really been evaluating all the stuff our family has and has been bringing in. And I'll tell you that I'm a little overwhelmed by it all. We aren't by any means living in clutter city and I do keep an organized home but I'm coming to the conclusion that I want an organized home WITH minimal stuff. But what does that mean for me? And what does it mean for our family of four?


You may have seen the some articles that talk about pairing down your stuff or maybe the 100 things challenge but I can't help but think that's not realistic for most of us. It's not realistic for me. Yes, I want to get rid of a lot of items but how do I want to go about it? And what's realistic for us?


I want my girls to remember the experiences we create for them not the stuff they have. And isn't that true for us all? We remember the memories we've made not all the stuff we had in different parts of our life. Sure we remember some of the things but probably just 10% of those things (favorite doll, book, outfit). I want my girls to live their lives, not be bogged down by stuff and appreciate what they have. I don't want them to have so much stuff they don't appreciate it and just want more more more like society tells us.


I'm also trying to be content with what we have and that's a step in the minimalism direction. Why do I need 6 serving platters when I use the same 2 every time. Why do I need 60 shirts when I wear 12 of them? (Yes, at one time I had 60 shirts). At one time in my life all my "stuff" was important to me but now it's my family. When the girls get older and look at our house will they see stuff or will they have good memories that we helped create? I want that answer to be memories and not stuff.


So, in 2012 I'm going to be more content with what we have. I'm going to keep de-cluttering our lives one step at a time, one closet at a time. And I'm going to help my family create memories that will last forever.


What are some of your goals for 2012?

2 comments:

Patsy said...

I remember being overwhelmed at Christmas when the boys were toddler/preschoolers and receiving gifts aka toys from every relative!!! There was so much that they just dumped toys everywhere and never really played with them. I began putting most in the attic and rotated them every few weeks;that helped a lot. PLUS we asked grandparents to put the $$ toward some "savings" for the kids. I know your words go deeper than this surface account but as a young mom, it really helped to tame the surroundings.

Rachel said...

I agree with all of this!! It's so hard this time of year too as presents & other stuff is coming in weekly it seems! I love that contentment is your goal...same here!! :)